Buckeye Local - October 13, 2017

For the second week in a row, the East Liverpool Potters looked like world beaters as they held Buckeye Local at bay in Yorksville’s World War Stadium, 35-6.

Winning the initial toss, the Panthers elected to receive the kickoff, and for a few moments looked like they would be able to capitalize until they bogged down at the EL 30 from where Coach

Josh Ludwig and his team took over. 

However, the Potters were forced to punt at the conclusion of an eight-play drive from their own 46, but the Panthers  were held in check 1:41 remained in the first quarter and a bad snap from center set the Blue and White up in enemy territory.

Starting as the Panther’s 31, at 9:29 in the second quarter Jalen Moman took it to the house from the one. Derek Carter converted to make it 8 - 0. The drive consumed nine plays.

After receiving the kickoff, it took five plays for the Silver and Grey to work the ball to pay dirt when Shayne Christian found Jack Reed, for a TD, on a flea flicker from the 35. The score was set up when the Potters fumbled the ball on the 35. A two point conversion kick attempt was not good making the score 8-6.

Things went from bad to worse for the down-river foes when Lane Kopras scored on a three-yard fumble recovery run at 5:10 in the second. The two point conversion attempt failed
a Michael Loy interception set the Blue and White up for their final score of the first half with Payton Reed ending a three-yard drive with less than a minute left on the clock. A two point conversion was no good, and it was 20-6.

The second half was nearly a mirror of the first; although Coach Roger Herbert and his team put up two eight-play drives, each falling short. 

For the Blue and White, Derek Carter would nail the Potter’s first score at 6:28 in the third with Moman converting, and then Reed with a three-yarder in the game’s final moments, followed by Vallera’s kick made it 35-6. 


"We came out tonight wanting to run, and we essentially did, " said East Liverpool Coach Josh Ludwig. "That was our main goal. It was a little sloppy at times, but our defense and special teams bailed out".


Pizza was ordered, but arrived 25 minutes late. Not to worry; Bus Number Five wouldn't start, so the load had to be shuffled. The game ended at 9:25, but it was well after ten before the ELHS traveling party got on the road,

The facilities at Buckeye are not the best, but the courtesy and atmosphere are always tops, especially in the area of the concession stand.